The fate of the US Open should be decided by the end of June, reports USTA
The January Australian Open managed to play despite the raging Australian fires, the French Open was moved at the turn of September and October, Wimbledon was canceled for the first time since World War II. What about the US Open? Usually the final grandslam of the season takes place in New York, the pandemic of the coronavirus most affected city in the world, and the United States is also the most affected country in the world. Many are skeptical that this year's event will take place. Some say we won't see tennis again this year. "We do not have a fixed date for the decision. It is understandable, the situation is changing day by day. We will probably make a decision in the second half of June," said Michael Dowse, chief executive of the American Tennis Association. The organizers said a few days ago that they were optimistic and this year could take place within the set deadline. New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is not sure. "We believe that we will reopen schools in September, but we have no idea what will happen in June, July and August. I do not know if it will be possible to allow such a large number of people to be gathered in these months." One option is to play behind closed doors. This possibility is admitted by ATP head Andrea Gaudenzi. The concept without spectators is also supported by Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic. For the US Open, as for the French Open, canceling this year would be a major financial blow. Only the famous Wimbledon has insurance against infectious diseases. This year's US Open is scheduled to start in the week of August 24 with qualifying and culminate in a men's final duel on September 13. The organizers of the US Open said a few days ago that they were optimistic and usually the final grandslam of the season should take place within the set deadline. But even they cannot predict the further development of the coronavirus pandemic, and therefore take the time to decide whether to cancel or change the dates of New York's Grand Slam. The decision should be made by the end of June.
Published: 01. 04. 2020